Well, as soon as you realize it, the summer is on the way out.
Here are some random family updates:
C is getting ready to move out and attend Texas State. It's so close to home, I will likely meet her for lunch on a few Fridays. It's just a short trip up the road....but no doubt about it, this is a big deal. Of course, I am proud and excited for her. The last two years have been a good transition for us; some weeks we barely see her....But I would be lying if I said I'm not sad. I have to admit there's no going back and that she's growing up.
Speaking of growing up, E is about to enter her senior year. K and E visited SFA a couple of weeks ago, and we may visit at least one more university this fall. We got a car for her this summer, but it's a long story, and honestly, it's already a stress......(yikes, I know). She's also "dating" a guy. I say "dating" because she would say she is only talking to him....but they are going on dates. Weird generational definitions going on here.... There is sooo much at stake for E this year: choices to make, possible scholarships, going for All-State Choir, auditioning for plays and musicals on and off campus. I am hoping, praying, and wishing on a star for an amazing senior year for her.
H is about to be a HS freshman. He will be playing football, and also, there seems to be a lot at stake for him as well. New school, new coaches, and a new set of people and friends. He is joining choir again after a two-year absence. This could go either way, and I hope it goes well... it could be a game-changer for him. He's grown taller than his sisters now, and he loves it. He's a good kid, but I look forward to "middle school" moments becoming less frequent.
K is headed back to her school; this will be her third year as co-director. Given budget cuts and the destruction of Texas public schools (Thanks, Texas Republicans!!) we are thankful she has a job. That said, we don't know how sure we are she will be back in 2027-2028. Luckily, she is at a big school that feeds into her district's most popular school, and they run an amazing program. Still, one more year would be great.....given the extra expenses of auto insurance and all the costs....I am not sure what we would do without her being full-time. We just can't worry about that right now or our heads would explode.
We took a family cruise back in June. It was the first time I had been on a cruise since our honeymoon back in 2003. I was a little hesitant; I am not a huge cruise person....but it was great! We literally didn't have to plan much at all, and we both admitted it was great because we actually came back feeling rested, which doesn't always happen on vacation.
YouTube Creator Rant/Fragements:
I haven't gotten into it here on the blog, but my little YouTube channel has taken a nose dive of late. It's basically comic book shorts. I review or comment on a particular comic book for one minute. I try to lean into the silly nature of comic books, but I review everything, not just "it's so bad it's good" comics. It's really "old school YouTube" in short form. It's been a roller coaster; I was consistently getting 1,000-1,500 and sometimes 2,000 views per short. Sure, these were small; my kids were laughing at my numbers, but it felt good to me. Now I am lucky to break 600 views per video.
My original goal was 100 subscribers, which I achieved early last fall. My goal for 2026 was to get to 250 by the end of this year (which I am on track for). The logic was building subscribers and a community rather than views. Still, when you try different methods (I posted every day for 32 days back in April) and see numbers dip, it's not a great feeling.
I have 208 subscribers, so maybe....I am just not that good at it? Or the algorithm doesn't like me? Or old people that like weird comic books don't watch YT Shorts? I think I need to get to a full two years, just for pride's sake...that would take me to March 2027. It's still fun making the videos, and it's given me an excuse to buy weird comics....but my patience is wearing a little thin.
Other Fragmented Updates:
It hasn't been all that hot this summer. Wow, what a relief. It's been hot the last two weeks, but I think we hit over 100 once so far. I'll take it; when it's just 100 degrees all the time, it just zaps your will to do anything other than stay at home.
My Study Abroad program for 2027 to Spain was approved, but now, with looming budget cuts, including summer pay cuts (Thanks, Texas Republicans!) and the possibility that K might not have a job, it now threatens whether I will be able to do it. I might pick up another class at another university....we'll see.
So, a new Weezer album is coming out, and every song so far that has come out is, well, pretty terrible. So, what else is new? lol
The Spurs Finals run was both the best and worst of sports fandom: it was unexpected, full of shocking and memorable moments, heroic deeds, and then, heartbreaking disappointment. I was in the process of writing a HUGE blog about the Spurs during the run and had to rewrite some of it. I'll finish it up the week before classes start; it's a great blog idea, but it involved a ton of research.
I was cast in another play this summer, at a different local theater. It's a well-known play. I have quite a funny role, but I also get to stretch my acting chops and cry at the end of the show. It's a new and rather small theater, but the production and cast are top-notch. The set is incredible....but we have a total of 14 performances (including the preview night). We start up our second week of shows this Thursday.
It's been a great experience and very different from the theater I usually act in. I'm also exhausted already with this particular story and role. As stated above, while my role brings some humor, it's a heavy storyline with tragedy at the end. I bring it every time, though.
I felt good to make an audition that wasn't at my usual place. I wanted to see if I could hang elsewhere, and the answer so far has been, hell yeah I can. It feels good to work in a talented cast of people that (for the most part) did not know me. I have received compliments from the cast as well, and I really appreciate that..
I enjoy the collaborative nature of acting but....being in a show eats your life. I'm ready to get back into my own life.
Anyway, the fall has already started...which means I am very busy. Gotta go....but take some time and enjoy the sunset today. Take a deep breath. If you're reading this, it means you are alive. Enjoy it.
No comments:
Post a Comment