Saturday, December 31, 2011

Books in 2011


Happy New Year to ya. These are the books I read though this year...off the top of my head...I may be missing something....lots of comics this year!


The Qur'an - I had about a third of this finished for years but could never  get motivated. This time, I started at the end and worked my way back. It worked!


The Rebel - Camus -Tough go of it, and honestly I skipped the whole section on Russia. Too many Russian names. :)

Persepolis - Satrapi (Graphic Novel) - Wonderful. Will have to read the sequel at some point.

The Four Encounters - Tezuka (Graphic Novel)

Marvel Essential Man Thing (Vol. 1) (Graphic Novel) - weird, odd, interesting...and totally under-rated. Enjoyed it. Look forward to Vol. 2 someday.

Planet Hulk (Graphic Novel) - Nicely done....Would recommend to any sci-fi fan.

Tons of 1980's era Marvel's (newly bought and otherwise)

Strength to Love - MLK (should finish this week)
Sermons from MLK. Powerful stuff. I love it.

In Search of Zarathursta (well done but a little stale towards the end)

Jesus and the Gospels - Bloomberg (sections)
Conservative scholar but well done and very fair minded. Will be digging into this as a resource often.


The Gospel of John - F.F. Bruce (commentary only sections I was teaching)
Taught at our church on John - loved this commentary would like to finish this at some point.

Synopsis of the Four Gospels (Aland Edition) - Started 2011 by reading through the gospels like this. Nice way to read them. Always wanted one of these and finally got it. Have referenced it many times.


An Ordinary Man - Paul Russesabagina -Paul was going to visit our campus but he was ill and had to cancel. Great but sad book.

Poverty and Morality (ed. Galston & Hoffenberg)
One of my faves. I actually lost this in the fall so I have two chapters left! :) I can't recommend it enough if you are a fan of world religions or interested in poverty.  Great overview of many of the dominant belief systems (written by a scholar in that particular field and often an adherent of that system) and their views on poverty (religious and secular world views). I have a feeling I might have this on one of my class reading list one day...love it.


The Essentials of Hinduism - Swami Bhaskarananda  - Hands down the best introduction to Hinduism I have read. Easy to understand and many great examples and illustrations I use in class.

The Toon Treasury (ed. Spiegelman) (should finish this week) - simply wonderful. If you love old cartoons - get this book!!!

Finally, I re-read Frankel's Man's Search for Meaning. One of the best books ever!!!

Wow...read through more than I thought. Here's to another great round of books in 2012!

No comments:

Post a Comment