Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Weezer Concert Review


This past summer I attended the Weezer Memories concert (The Pinkerton Night) in Austin at Stubb's.

I originally had most of this written up months ago but then I got bored and it got put on the back burner (I'm running out of room on that back burner).

I arrived in Austin about an hour before the doors opened and was shocked at the line out the door. The line stretched down the block with at least 200-300 fans ahead of me. It was weird because sometimes I feel like the only Weezer fan here in San Antonio.


Yes, it's that lonely. Lonely and shameful. I mean every time I tell someone I am a weezer fan I have to start with all these qualifiers about how their recent stuff sucks and how their 90's catalog is amazing.  


Waiting outside was not pleasant as it was hot, humid and the sun hitting me straight in the face for awhile. Once inside the shade of the amphitheater I could relax and have a beer (which due to heat was guzzled down quickly). I survived the opening band (some rap band which wasn't all that bad as I feared) and to my surprise, Weezer quickly appeared.

The band was in great form and even minor imperfections couldn't ruin a great performance. I dare say this might have been the band's best set-list ever. (HUZZAH!) From start to finish the band was having fun and in high spirits. This was my fifth time seeing Weezer (previously in 1996, 2000, 2001, and 2002) and it was most they have seemed to be "together" as I have ever seen them (well, okay, except for '96). More than any other Weezer show (or other shows I've seen recently) the band was having fun. Smiles were shared and there were some special moments between the fans and the band.

The night began with the "greatest hits" portion of the set but it quickly morphed into a hard-core Weezer fan's dream set including a song they don't often play live (The Greatest Man That Ever Lived), three b-sides from the 90's (You Gave Your Love To Me Softly, Suzanne, and Jamie) and a never-before played song (maybe the online community's most beloved of Rivers' demos), Longtime Sunshine. I couldn't believe I heard three b-sides from the 90's and Longtime Sunshine. Excuse the inner girlie fandom, but UNfreakingbelievable.

I was flipping out - albeit in a very reserved, muted fashion. I was about fifteen- twenty feet from the stage with a perfect vantage point to enjoy the show. The "tall guys" that seem to haunt me at most concerts were no where to be found. While it was a great viewing area, I was probably in the second-tier of weezer fandom. Most people around me knew Pinkerton, and many even knew Suzanne (which went down surprisingly like a big hit with the crowd) but I was on my own in my immediate vicinity with excitement for Jamie or Longtime Sunshine. It was like knowing big news but not being able to tell anyone...I was thinking, "Don't you people know how special this is?". I almost yelled "Thank you Rivers!" during a quiet moment but my self-consciousness got the best of me. I definitely should have anyway.

This was during "The Greatest Man..." I think. At one point he was singing to the people out on street on the other side of this wall. It was kinda cool. I know, I don't have a pithy comment for this. It feels awkward.

Being currently alienated from the only other person I know who would be equally excited and jealous I was there....I found myself in a weird position. I knew no one that I knew would care what was happening (I even pathetically scrolled through my contacts list to make sure I wasn't forgetting someone). I texted my wife out of the sheer need to contact a fellow human being. Of course she replied but she didn't care about Weezer's set anymore than any of my other friends. (Thanks anyway, Honey!)

The "hits" set (for lack of a better term) had the band performing as a five-piece with Pat (the drummer) doubling on guitar and Brian (usually guitar) going between the guitar and the keyboard. Brian actually looked alive and was having fun....at most of the shows I have attended or seen, he's just chilling. One show (2002) he barely looked alive. This was the whole reason I set up on the right side of the stage away from the Sassmaster.

I was obviously a lot closer but this is just a general shot of Stubb's and this seemed like a good place for a photo.

Pat and Scott were on my side of the stage. Pat was rocking out and having a blast, I am glad he gets to play some gee-tar now and then. Scott (Bass) was devastating with the "happy to be here" look in his eye as usual. Rivers climbed around like a moron as he is wont to do with these mainstream sets. Oddly it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would. I have to admit, it was kinda cool to see him climb into the crowd around me, at one point less than ten feet away.

I compare the banter between songs at concerts much like the conversation I want from my food servers: not enough leaves me feeling like I'm not even there - too much and I find it annoying and/or awkward. Rivers did great this time around, with enough mix-up's with the set and a cheesy "time travel" theme ("we're taking it back to 1995...") to keep the mood light. There seemed to be some hesitation with Longtime Sunshine - like the band was thinking, I hope this goes over well - and to many a surprise, many cheered when the song was introduced.

The experience was a little bittersweet, as I had no one to enjoy the concert with nor could I indulge myself with more than two beers as I had a long trip home later that night (I counted 13 police cars on the way to and from Austin)! Nevertheless, the concert was amazing.

Here's the set with some comments.

 Memories - Off their latest album, Hurley. Not a fan of this song, and it's the only "meh" song out of the entire concert. Honestly though, it's a great opener for this tour and there are tons of other Weezer songs that are much more cringe-worthy than this one.

 The Greatest Man That Ever Lived - Off of the Red Album - technically, this is a difficult song to pull off live and well.... it showed. It's really a studio song - but I'm happy to have heard it as it's not played often. Giving the challenges it sounded good. The band was up for it and Rivers got up on the roof-top to sang out the 8th street audience on the other side of the wall at one point. Surprisingly, lots of cheers for this song as well.

 Perfect Situation - love, love, love the intro solo. Even if I think the original "woahs" are better from the studio version -- like a lot in the Weezer catalog, this song seems so much better live.

 Dope Nose - Scott on lead vocals. This is just a fun song. Scott does a great job with a vocally easy song.

 Hash Pipe - rocking out. Love me the drums on this one.

 You Gave Your Love To Me Softly - the first of the B-sides played. The band has always loved this song (it's the most-oft played non-album song to be sure) and it's a catchy little ditty.

 Suzanne - Wonderful song and a total surprise. The fans went crazy as it seemed everyone knew this (I take it from the Mallrats movie and soundtrack). One of my favorites of the night - Rivers has gone back to his original lyrics as well, using the "Kurt Cobain" line now (at the release it was changed as it was still in the wake of Kurt's suicide).

 Longtime Sunshine - This was the surprise and highlight of the night. Jaw droppingly good and I can now say I have seen the live premiere of LTS, "Don't Let Go", "Always" and "Island in the Sun". That's kinda cool.

 Jamie - Following LTS, I was ready for "Buddy Holly" or "Undone" - but they went straight into a song that needs no "introduction" (really?) - Jamie. It' my least favorite blue b-side but damn if it almost didn't change my mind by the end of this performance - it sounded so much heavier and together than the recording we do have (although that recording has its qualities as well).

 Only In Dreams - this is the most over-rated in the weezer online community and I still love it. It was great hearing it again for the first time since 96. Great performance and epic crescendo.

Intermission / Slide Show

 Tired Of Sex

 Getchoo

 No Other One

 Why Bother?

 Across The Sea - Sounded great. This is probably my favorite song of all-time, so I was a bit on cloud 9 - singing along. Being "in the moment" doesn't always make for a great recollection.

 The Good Life - the band really nailed this one - for whatever reason, it stuck out as a great performance.

 El Scorcho

 Pink Triangle

 Falling For You - Amazing solo and Rivers seemed to have a blast. He actually jumped into the audience on this one - which he usually doesn't do in the second half of the Memories shows.

 Butterfly

I stared at this pic forever trying to find myself and realized it was for the Blue Album night. :( 
 I would have been about ten feet (??) in front of the at tree on the left.

No comments:

Post a Comment