Saturday, December 3, 2011

Top Ten Things I Didn't Do

Things happen, but sometimes they don't. Off the top of my head and definitely not in any order of importance, here are things that didn't work out or that I never did.



1) Printed out a small book of poems to give to my parents and sister for Christmas back in 2005 but didn't give it to them on second thought.


2) I didn't ask out a girl in my Intermediate Spanish II class in college. I had a huge crush on this girl. We sat on opposite sides of the room and before I even spoke to her I had already created her personality - she was my dream girl.  I mustered the courage and managed to talk to her a few times in the hallway before class, I think I made her laugh and felt really good about our small chit-chat. I plotted to ask her out after the final exam. This was the perfect plan - if she rejected me, I would never see her again in class thus lessening my humiliation. I laughed at my genius. When I took the final exam, I worked as fast as I could.  I even managed to check my work but I was ready to dump the exam if the situation arose.  After what seemed like forever, she finished her exam. I didn't want to make it obvious, so I patiently waited about 15-20 seconds after she got up. As fate would have it, the allotted time for the test was running out, so many students were up at the front of the room, turning their exam in as well. Because of the extra traffic, it took me longer than expected to turn the test in....but I wasn't panicking even though she was out the door sooner than I realized. My heart rate started racing as I picked up my backpack and headed out into the hallway. As I walk out the door I see a fellow classmate is already TALKING TO HER- he's not leaving her side as they continue to talk and walk right into the PARKING LOT - I slow my walking gait down but at this point I am in a near panic. My perfect plan was falling apart, I had no backup plan!! They just keep talking and I....well... keep walking....I felt like an idiot. I saw her a few months later at Blockbuster with some fat boyfriend, I had a near Woody Allen breakdown at that point.


3) I did not transfer to UT (instead I transferred to A&M). I was planning on majoring in advertising there. As crazy as that sounds to me now, I think I would have taken one class and changed my major. Life would have been different, that's for sure.


4) I did not teach in Japan. I almost applied to teach for JET after graduating in 2000, but got scared (although we did end up teaching in China in 2004).


5) I did not make the band. I tried out for a band in college as the lead singer. I tried to sing some Metallica song and it went badly. I think I knew I wasn't going to get the gig when I asked if they knew any Weezer songs.


6) I did not get everything that I wanted as a kid. I have vivid memories of begging my mom for a quarter or seventy-five cents for a comic book or a pack of baseball cards. Most of the time, she wouldn't budge. At the time, I thought it was because (in my kid's world) seventy-five cents was a lot of dough - I understood it. Now that I know even at the time, it was nothing. My mom did a good job of not spoiling me.


When my mom would go our local Handy-Andy I would go inside the Revco next door as they had a great comic rack and a better toy selection. When I was ten-years old I saw this comic and I just had to have it. I begged and pleaded with my mom to no avail. It was a hard sell - it was double-sized and $2.50!  I did what I often did at Revco and hid it behind some magazines. I was able to hide this comic at least 3-4 times at least for a month - always being careful to remember which magazines I hid it behind. One day, to my dismay it was gone......(Well then, I just found it on Amazon and I am totally buying this for my Christmas present with my parent's money).



7) I wish I could tell you I never bought cowboy boots, but I would be lying.


8) I did not get a ticket for crazy driving as a teenager. It was harmless stuff by most standards, but one road rage incident was really, really, scary looking back on it (and yes, I was the one mad). I sometimes can't even recognize that young version of myself.


9) I never made the "Honor Roll". Not a once.

10) I never applied to teach anywhere else than where I work now. I applied part time and did not apply anywhere else, as I was a lazy. I got a call a week before classes, I was in. I interviewed for a full-time position twice (with one interview with the college president) before finally landing my full-time tenure track position the third time around.

No comments:

Post a Comment