Monday, May 2, 2011

Fragments, Inc.

I had a dream the other night that I was led by Stephen Colbert (yes, that Stephen Colbert) to a room that opened under a office floor (like a cellar). Once I walked down some stairs, he said something I can't recall and locked me in. The submarine like-door closed behind me and I knew my escape could only lead down the stairs.

Can I overstate the importance of Colbert? Sure, but gosh darn it, this guy is one of my hero's. Only Stewart and Colbert really point out the insanity of it all. Every now and then I will read some high-brow journalist (or conservative) downplay what they do (they are just entertainers/they are no better than Glenn Beck or O'Reilly). This is actually a wrong. Their similarity with the Fox shows are that they have a particular point of view. The fact is they are funnier and smarter than the blowhards at Fox. (Side question: Why are liberals funnier than conservatives?) It's this whole corporate media that continues to show us that there are "two sides to every story" - and forces us to believe that all opinions are equal. No, actually, opinions based on facts are better. The deconstruction of the right by Colbert and Stewart are brilliant. If only every media outlet had the bravery to call the buffoonery of global-warming denying, lies by politicians, bullying, and incompetence when they saw it. This might be the longest photo comment ever. Sorry about that....ahem....


I descended down the winding white-painted metal staircase. It was rickety but it got the job done. The staircase opened into a very small room. There was only room enough to open the door at the bottom of the stairs. It was carpeted, well lit and it looked as thought I could be in any generic office building. I walked through the door, which led to small hallway. On my right, a few feet down was a small white utility door and directly five feet in front of me, another door, identical to the one I just opened.

I opened the door in front of me to find an identical hallway that I just stood in. Of course, I tried the next door, and it too, opened into an identical hallway. Deep down, I knew these corridors repeated for eternity.

Panicking, I ran back to the stairwell fearing I might lose my mind among the endless doors and corridors. I was lost and alone. I wondered if I should go forward towards the endless doors and hallways hoping to find an endpoint or should I stay waiting at the staircase, hoping something or someone would open the door above? Alone, lost and hopeless, the thought occurred to me that maybe I had died and had discovered hell. Yep, it was scary but it was this thought (I think) that actually woke me up.

In other fragment news, I thought of my very own "Experiments in Living" week theme this summer. Last summer I lived like a Muslim for a week (which, by the way, I was a total failure at). This summer my experiment will be called the: Not "Made in China" Week. I will attempt to not use or buy anything made in China for a week. I know, it sounds like a doozey. But it should be a good challenge. I just need to create some ground rules and begin in possibly May or June.

I am almost done with my job as chair of my department. It's a great feeling. It really is.

No comments:

Post a Comment