Monday, May 31, 2010

Poetry Post #1: Childhood Memories

I gave up writing poetry around the time Claire was born.  I just got tired of writing after about 10 years of writing poems (I would guess only 4 of those years was I consistently trying to write).  This might as well be a good place to post some. Most of my poems were fragments of ideas anyway.  Here are two based on childhood memories.  I always enjoyed writing about memories because they were so personal and easy to write. Maybe because I had a clear and simple goal when writing about memories....so that might explain it.

i was only a boy at the time.
you were drawing for me because i loved cartoons.
you drew a man looking over a fence,
with a big cartoon nose hanging over its edge.
slowly, the pen made its lines,
a bit unsteady and squiggly.
i remember you playing dominos.
i remember christmas morning blurs.
i remember you quiet and in the hospital.
i never knew you, mysterious grandfather
i was only a boy at the time.
but i still remember.


beach
the seagulls circled overhead
calling for our bread.
i told you to put the food away
before they poop on us.
i feel sick and vomit
grape soda/bologna sandwich into the sand.
those damn seagulls eat that instead.

1 comment:

  1. always liked these two =) you should write more - there's a lot going on these days that just might inspire you!

    ReplyDelete