Saturday, May 15, 2010

Keepin' it Real in the Fake World

I was listening to NPR the other morning when I heard my Texas senator, John Cornyn say that Supreme Court nominee, Elena Kagan's had experience in academia but no "real world" experience.

This isn't the first time I have heard folks refer to those of us who teach at the college or university level as lacking "real world" experience.

Now, that I think about it, it's all true. Most of my life is not in the "real world" at all...

Rating my Reality at Work

Teaching = definitely not real
Organizing lessons = sorta kinda real, but not really.
Creating assessments = trapping students, not a fair and balanced reality
Grading = subjectively non-reality
Serving on Committees = drawing/day dreaming in meetings = not real
Dealing with Student-Instructor Conflicts = seemingly real but conflict based on "non reality" of the classroom, thus making it pure fantasy
Designing Schedule/Purchasing = real on some level by its method of input, fake in the abstract
Research = not real, most likely research with a liberal basis, meaning non-facts
Writing = real in concept;  but because it's not written with the purpose of selling something or trying to elect someone, it's as real as unicorns or global warming.
(okay, so I'm not really researching or writing but ya know, it's a possibility in my field of "fake work")

No comments:

Post a Comment