Friday, December 17, 2021

Art Post: Untitled (Contagion Collage/Acrylic)

I haven't posted an art post in a long time because I haven't done much painting in the last few years. I have all the usual excuses though (email me for the entire list). I have doodled a bit here and there with some paint markers but nothing too formal (I did draw a cool griffin though).  I've also found my artistic efforts centered on writing a YA fantasy novel (yeah, I'm stuck again) and of course from 2016-2019 in acting in community theater. 

This particular piece has a backstory and a direct inspiration. 

I made this painting back in 2019 after a visit to the Art Institute of Chicago. I had recently visited art museums in New Orleans, Philadelphia and DC, so art and art creation had been in my mind at the time.  I love post-modern art and in particular, I am drawn towards bright, expressive, child-like art (begin your psychoanalysis now). 

Anyway,  I was looking at Jackson Pollock's Number 17A.

I love this but David Giffin bought it for $200 million in 1990. Think of the good he could have done with that cash. Capitalism ruins everything.

The exhibit shared a small quote from Pollock that was next to this piece and it had a profound impact on me and how I understand the creation of art:

"When I am in my painting, I'm not aware of what I am doing...I have no fears about making changes, destroying the image, etc., because the painting has a life of its own. I try to let it come through". 

This mindset of trying to exclude that analytical part of your brain from art creation, to tap the reserves of your subconscious (or even chance), appeals to me. The ego part of my brain wants to control how it looks or worries about "ruining" it. This mentality of control often stands in the way of breakthroughs or inspired art. I want to adopt this mindset to my writing, acting, etc.  

I want to let go of my ego and stop worrying about "wasting" the paint or the canvas and just see what happens. 

It was this attitude that I attempted this piece, at least I tried to.  Although I did select what would be in the center of the collage, much of the painting, placement and style came about quite randomly. 

I had a copy of this old children's book from my grandmother's house. It was written by Thorton Burgess and illustrated by Harrison Cady sometime in the 1930's.  I had become fascinated by this book as a child when I discovered it at her "vacation cabin".  Decades later, I found it in her house. I was instantly taken back to my memories of this old worn-out book.   I swiped it as I knew if I didn't it would eventually wind up in the trash or sold in the estate sale. Not sure if that makes me a bad person but I am pretty sure she barely knew it existed. 

In many ways, my fascination with this book was the clue that I would always love old stuff. 

When I began to create this piece I knew I wanted one of these illustrations to be used as the center of the piece. The additional cut-outs including old stamps and advertisements from 1970's comic books were randomly dropped on the canvas and I began to drop paint on the canvas at random. I trusted the moment and stopped worrying. 

A big green glop of paint landed right on the child's face in the illustration. I quickly used a metal tool to make the most of the glop. The random glop became vine-like and as the child was "sick" in the picture, it felt like a spreading virus had come, it became a symbol of disease and contagion. I then worked the glops into plant-like "tumors", each reaching out to grow and connect. I dunno what it means but it gives me a bit of discomfort seeing all the growth surrounding and infecting everything in its path.  

As usual, enjoy if you like. 


Untitled (2019) - Collage and Acryllic 


Untitled (2019) - Close up 

Untitled (2019) - Close up


No comments:

Post a Comment