Sunday, December 19, 2021

3 More Underrated Albums of the 90's

I've done a few other posts of my favorite "underrated" albums of the '90s, so it's become a "thing" on this little blog of mine. So, here are three more underrated albums of the 90's.....

World Party - Goodbye Jumbo (1990) 

This album doesn't feel like a 90's album but it doesn't feel like an 80's album either. It's a classic Beatles-esque album (from a British band no less). There are some echoes of Sloan here and that's a good thing.  It's earnest, thoughtful but ultimately, too inconsistent to be considered a stone-cold 90's classic, at least for me personally. Its highs are very high though and it's enough for me to recommend it to you, a random stranger on the internet.  

The album wrestles with worrying about the fate of the world and trying to find what hope is left (for the environment, for relationships, etc.).  As I stated before it's a little uneven but still worth a listen, after all, your mileage may vary.  There's something endearing and tragic when listening to the song, "Put the Message in the Box" in 2021 and knowing how the global community has failed our future. A good depressing chaser might be maybe the best song on the whole album, the Beach Boys-inspired, "God On My Side".  

Stand Out Tracks for the Lazy: "Way Down Now", "Put the Message in the Box", "When the Rainbow Comes", "God On My Side". 


that dog - Retreat from the Sun (1997)

This is the first track, but you can find the whole album on YT. 

I suppose this is one of those albums you either love or hate. From my perspective, I have no idea how this didn't become a huge hit. If you like power pop, you're going to probably like it. that dog is such a unique band.  You have those classic 90's distorted guitars with healthy dollops of violin, all with beautiful voices blending to create memorable melodies (insert chef's kiss).  

Retreat from the Sun is a huge pop album full of sing-along anthems that will have you singing along or drumming on your steering wheel. You might even stop caring that people may see you belting these songs out in your car, at the top of your lungs.   I recommend it for the summer, happy times, good moods, and long drives. There are some missteps on the back half of the album, but hey, just skip to the next track if you don't like it. Fun album, great songs, I come back to every few years and enjoy it all the same. 

Stand Out Tracks for the Lazy: "I'm Gonna See You", "Never Say Never", "Being With You", "Minneapolis", "Long Island"


Built to Spill - There's Nothing Wrong with Love (1994)


If you aren't familiar with Built to Spill, you should be.... and this is a great album to introduce new people into their style and genius. It's easy to try to describe bands by comparing their sound to other bands but I can't really do that with Built to Spill. Their sound, song structure and lyrics are unique. I hope I am building this album up for you, because I am not afraid to do that. You need to listen to this album.

It's energetic, unpredictable, creative and of course, catchy. I recommend listening when you are working on completing boring or thoughtless tasks as it will liven up whatever it is you are doing. I love this album but the first six tracks are probably my favorite section of the album. Please don't stop there though. Embrace the weirdness, embrace this album. 

Stand Out Tracks for the Lazy: Tracks 1-6, in particular, "In the Morning", "Reasons" and "Cleo". 

No comments:

Post a Comment