Saturday, April 5, 2014

Saturday Night Special: In Bloom

It's been awhile since I've posted a Saturday Night Special. I think it's been even longer since I actually wrote and post one on a Saturday night (I usually write one and then release it on a Saturday).

It's that time of year again and this time, it's been 20 years since Kurt committed suicide. It always bums me out thinking, "what might have been..." but there's no use playing that game. Last month I finished up Come As You Are, which I had last read in 1998 or something crazy like that. It got me back to listening to Nirvana again. Typically, I will spend between 1-3 years away from the band (almost completely)  and then, almost like gravity I find myself listening to Nirvana again for one reason or another. Sometimes obsessively.

I don't want to rehash what Nirvana means to me all over again but I should say a little something about "In Bloom". For me this is the most catchy Nirvana song. If it creeps into my head on any given day, I am humming the chorus walking, driving, cooking, whatever I am doing - it finds itself into my brain.  When I sing along in the car I always think it's more fun to sing the harmony, as it's more like me and Kurt have a duet.  The guitars are so crunchy and layered - it's good stuff. Also, the video is Nirvana's best - instead of the morose and serious, it shows real personality and the humor that was a part of Kurt and the band. I know, I know, "Heart Shaped Box" is an amazing visual document - it's evocative, interesting and actually beautiful but this one makes me smile. Besides, it's got the dude from The People's Court. That's worth a bonus point right there.

So, sit back, pretend it's 1992 and sing along with this "pretty song".



No comments:

Post a Comment