Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top 8 Moments in My Sports Fandom

Took a long spring break from blogging. It was nice.

Because no one asked and you don't care....the top 8 moments in my sports fandom...in no real order (except for #1)

1. 2005 NBA Finals, Spurs v. Pistons, Game 5 - Robert Horry adds to his legend by hitting a clutch three-point shot in OT with 9 seconds left to put the Spurs up by 1. As any one who knows basketball will tell you, game five is usually the most critical of any seven game series. The Spurs had been up 2-0 after two games and had won rather handily. In Detroit for games 3 & 4,  the Pistons returned the favor and kicked the Spurs rear even more convincingly than the Spurs victories in games 1 & 2. The truth was the Spurs had to have this game or the series was over.

The first four games had been snoozers, but game five was shaping up to be something special. It was a defensive classic. Neither team could seem to gather much momentum before the other team would come back to tie the game or take a small lead. 

I felt a sick tightening in my guts as the game continued (this usually happens in close Spurs playoff game past game four for me anyway). It seemed no one else sans Duncan was stepping up and even he couldn't hit a shot in the 3rd quarter. Then, out of the ashes of a crappy game, Big Shot Bob started to light it up. His big night started with a three point shot at the end of the 3rd quarter to earn his first three points of the game. 

He would wind up 21 points in the second half as he put the team on his back. I was watching the game at home with my friend Eric. With nine 10 seconds or so left, the Spurs were down by two in OT. We stood up near my television, nearly scared to death. Horry inbounded to Manu, a double-team came, leaving Horry wide open. Manu passed back to Horry for the 3 that won the game. After the shot went down I literally leaped into Eric's arms and we jumped up and down screaming and cheering. If you are wondering, yes, it felt totally right at the time. I really wish someone had captured the moment on video.


Did a series re-watch (of only the Spurs wins because that's how the NBA sold it) and the 2005 title is the most impressive of the Spurs' four titles. Not because they beat great teams to get there (although that Phoenix team was damn close) but because they faced what I think was the best team they played in their dynasty period. Yes, the Lakers were great but were they ever really a "team" in the truest sense of the word? They wore teams down because of the sheer talent and will of Kobe and Shaq.  Yes, the had great role players but they won because of those amazing two players. The Spurs lost in 04 to luck and in 2006 to bad officiating (the last two games were actually well called but games 1-5 were horrible, including Tim getting his toes stepped on by Dirk and getting called for a foul that would lead to a Mavs win). But the Pistons were just an amazing collection of team players. They were a mirror image, a doppelganger in the truest sense.   

2. 1998 Big 12 Championship Game, Texas A&M v. Kansas State - The Aggies were a double-digit underdog but pulled out an amazing overtime game. I had a chance to travel up to St. Louis but my friends and I didn't want to put in the diving time. We regretted it but all the same we all left my friend's apartment and went bar-hopping in College Station. The mood in College Station that night was truly awesome -- it was like everywhere we went, everyone was your friend. For a night, we felt like we ruled the world.

3. 1997 NBA Draft Lottery - The Spurs plain sucked in 1996-1997. I thought the Spurs might suck for the rest of my life. So when we got that #1 envelope for the #1 pick in the draft (of course, Tim Duncan) - I  wasn't even that big of a college hoops fan...all I knew was it was good to have the #1 pick - I can't remember if I even knew who Tim Duncan even was. All the same, I ran around the house whooping and yelling "Yes"!

4. 1998 - Texas A&M v. Nebraska - Beat the #1 team at home. If I had seen it on TV, it would have been nice but being there in College Station live - it became transcendent. You truly felt like part of the game, that you could make an impact on the play down below. This game featured the loudest moment I have ever personally experience at a sporting event (the clinching interception). It happened to be the first "Maroon Out" game as well and I actually did not participate as I didn't have a clean maroon shirt. It might be one of the few moments that I prayed to God for "my" team to win.

5. 2003 Western Conference Semifinals, Spurs v. Lakers, Game 6 -  The Spurs had been up 2-0 with two blowout wins at home. They proceeded to crap on their momentum by laying two huge eggs in LA (also blow-outs). In game five they led the Lakers by 26 at home and it looked like it was over, only Kobe got hot. I watched in utter horror as Robert Horry had his wide-open three bounce out at the buzzer.  The look on the Spurs' faces was priceless. It was if they just had literally dodged a bullet. No one knew what to expect for game six back in LA. The Spurs had allowed the Lakers back into three of the games even though they had been up by at least 15 or more points. They were lucky to have won one of them in game five.

I watched the game at a sports bar and the crowd was amazing you could sense the electricity in the bar crowd (or was that the beer?). The place was packed and you could barely walk to get to the bathroom. It was so much fun. It was close at halftime but there was no need for drama or buzzer beaters just Timmy and the gang dominating the Lakers in the second half. By the fourth quarter, it was a blowout.


The only lousy picture I could find from the game. Tim was an absolute monster and was at his peak in 2003 - his stat line for game six: 37 Pts (16-25), 16 Reb, 4 Ast, 2 Blocks. He might be boring - but Spurs fans never minded.



My friend Philip and I were just laughing as Kobe Bryant and Derek Fisher  started crying as the game was ending. Really, actually crying...it still makes me laugh.



Our future wives were not impressed with our behavior - but all we could say was that it was so satisfying to finally beat that particular arrogant team and watch them cry about it. Sure, they would beat us the next year in a soul-crushing manner but there was no crying on the Spurs team. I still find this particular series maybe the most satisfying as a Spurs fan.

6. 1999 - Texas A&M v. Texas - The Bonfire Game - Just days after the Bonfire collapse, the biggest game of the year was still set to go. The campus and fans needed it. We just had to win this game - it was probably the most meaningful game I have ever been to. Such a weird vibe - I think even Texas deep down didn't want to beat us that game.

7. 1999 - Entire Playoff fun for the Spurs - not quite a moment, although the Memorial Day Miracle might suffice (alas, I was alone doing laundry, and that does not make for a great memory). The night the Spurs won it was a childhood dream come true.

8. 1989 - Spurs v. Lakers - David Robinson's first regular season game. I was 12 years old and I was there. Oh yeah, the Spurs won too.

As you can see many of these games happened as I was a young man - I don't think there is really any topping these moments as after Tim, Tony and Manu retire I will truly be without peers in the NBA my age that I care about. I am getting older and sports just aren't that important anymore. I am okay with that but maybe if my kids play sports I can bring back some of these same feelings. Time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment