Friday, March 2, 2012

Star Wars Fragments

Had plans for a general fragment post but then it turned into fragments about Star Wars, childhood and random jpegs....

Our oldest is turning six this week and we're having the party tomorrow. I tried to remember any of my childhood birthday parties and could only really remember two - it was normal to not have a birthday party every year when I was a kid. The earliest "party" I can remember is my Mom let me take a few friends to see Return of the Jedi and then eat cake at our house. One of my friends gave me a Return of the Jedi poster that was on the back of my door for ages.

I was born in 1977 but I have a specific memory of watching A New Hope in the theater with my parents...I am guessing this was because theaters would re-release old movies before the take-off of VHS. We were like the last people in the town to get a VCR (1989) so I do remember one Saturday,  I discovered A New Hope or Empire on TV. I was really, really excited. Sure, we have the pleasure of watching anything we want almost instantly - but the surprise and excitement of a movie on TV is a lost thing.

If you wondering my stance on the prequels - I firmly believe they are an abomination to film. Yes, that bad. If you need an explanation -this link will explain it all and it will amaze you.

Great post about watching SW in order. Still don't think it's enough for me to re-watch the new movies-- maybe one day when I'm bored or want to punish myself for some bad deed.

My cousin had tons of Star Wars toys. He had this huge bookcase full of them - he had the Millennium Faclon, X-Wings, Y-Wings, Ewok Village, etc. etc. It was crazy. I loved going over there because I had like two Star Wars figures plus the band from Jabba's Palace and one of the little racers they had on Endor. That's it. I think I stole Boba Fett from him.

When all the Star Wars mania hit back in the late nineties I could enjoy the series all over again but in many ways it was really for the first time. I bought the VHS trilogy and realized there were chunks of the movies I had either forgotten about or never even seen. The re-release of A New Hope was the first movie I saw at midnight on opening night. Fun times.

Well, here is a minor Star Wars pic dump that I've come across the past few weeks....



No comments:

Post a Comment