Sunday, June 17, 2018

Summary Summer Fragments

Hey party people,  I should be grading but I don't want to. Here are some fragments.


It's been unbearably hot for being this early in the summer here in South Texas. It makes me unhappy and generally sour.  So, what I am saying is that I hate it and I am already ready for the fall.

For some crazy reason I never got into of Montreal until now. I always loved "Baby" but I have been listening to Cherry Peel non-stop for about three weeks now.  This album would have been perfect for me in the 90's as well given the focus on unrequited love on the album. 



It's a lo-fi masterpiece with strange and creepy lyrics. I think it's genius. Four out of Four Stars.

Looks like the Spurs dynasty really is over....sigh.  I have all sorts of thoughts on this but Ziller at SBnation summed it up nicely. If you care, read it. The whole thing makes me sad, and yet I'm more intrigued than sad. This draft week will be exciting. Is it petty and lying to admit I never really loved Leonard anyway? I mean, how could you? The guy has zero personality and never stepped up as a leader.  Of course if he re-signs, I take this all back.

TOP TEN Favorite SPURS

Please note, these are my faves, players that I loved to watch and who I got excited for when they got into a game. These are definitely not who I think are the best players. I am also only ranking players I have actually watched as a fan....so, sorry Ice Man.

1. Manu
2. Tim
3. David Robinson
4. Robert Horry
5. Malik Rose
6. Patty Mills
7. (tied) Bruce Bowen
7.  (tied) Danny Green
9. Sean Elliott
10. Boris Diaw  

Runners Up: Tony Parker (I love Tony but ya know, he's kinda a pretty boy and I just  got more excited about the other players....maybe he made it look too easy....I dunno), Jaren Jackson, Kawhi Leonard (yeah, he will fall this far, yes, I am emotional but just give me a few more years and he can sneak into one of the 6-10 slots). Avery Johnson (kinda hated him as a coach), Willie Anderson, Frank Brickowski, Matt Bonner,  Gary Neal, Speedy Claxton, Kevin Willis, Stephen Jackson, Steve Kerr, Terry Porter, George Hill, Oberto and that's about it.

A few weeks ago, C saw an owl in our backyard. Our house backs up to a green belt so we get to see some amazing wildlife from time to time. The owl blended in perfectly with the trees it took me a while to see it. I ran to get the camera and I was able to get one shot in before he flew away. One PERFECT OWL shot. So lucky. C was upset I didn't let her have the camera, but I just reacted. Such a beautiful bird. Enjoy: 




We started rehearsals for Oz (I am the Wizard/Professor Marvel). Kinda crazy. Remembering lines is not as easy as you would think! Oh well, I still have time (still working on my Wizard voice, I have Oz/Professor Marvel's voice down though).

Getting excited about the next academic year. My friend and I are planning a Study Stateside program like a Study Abroad, but we’ll traveling around the US. This is awesome because we think it will make (in part because it’s cheaper) and we’re in charge of it. Our district overlords can’t control it and screw it up. Also, we’re bringing in some great events next year. Fun stuff.  Basically, teaching has become a means to an end to me at this point in my career. I enjoy it, sure. But I am more excited to travel and plan events and hopefully one day do some peacebuilding on campus with students.  I am attending conference in September in Philly. Should be awesome!

That's it and it's getting late. I am Spurs sad and that means watching some good Spurs memories....hmmm....I think the 4th quarter of the sixth game of the 2003 Western Conference Finals will do nicely (Spurs-Mavs).

Until next time, don't forget to hug your loved ones, take a warm shower at night and say a little prayer before you drift off to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment