Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Dog Days of Summer Fragments

There's no doubt about it, it's the longest and most dreary part of the year (at least for South Texas). It's downright miserable outside.

I am not the most patriotic guy, in fact nationalism goes against my natural inclination but due to the in-laws we found ourselves at a local suburb's small 4th of July parade. At the very end of the short parade, I could believe what I saw. It was a  "Sons of Confederates" group marching with drums and the occasional gun shot. Of course this was right on the heels of the recent events in South Carolina, I was dumbfounded. It was so tone deaf and offensive. However, a moment of shame came with pride, my oldest, C (age 9) started booing them and I followed her lead.  Definitely a proud papa moment.

H (age 3) continues to grow like a weed. He has always loved animals and has grown to love to pretend to play "Cheetah Simba", which is just like Simba from the Lion King but he is a cheetah who just happens to "blow fire". He came up with that all on his own. Typically, I am "Uncle Scar" and we plot the overthrow of Musfsa and/or Simba. Also, we fight a lot to determine who will be the King (or sometimes who will be the "boss").

E (age 6) is swimming like a pro. She swam the length of the pool last night and I asked her if she was tired, and she was shocked I would even ask. Awesome. While all the kiddos are imaginative, she seems the most capable of being completely in a world of her own by herself. She craves alone time to play on her own more than the other kids. Sometimes I will go by the door and hear her belting out a tune, or playing teacher or mother with her dolls. She's very coy about it and doesn't like to share exactly what she was playing or saying if you ask.

Summer II drones on but it's is almost over. I taught Maymester, two Summer I's an now two Summer II's. Am I brunt out? Maybe a little but next week will work wonders on me (my one week "off" even if it is filled with meeting and prep work).

There's a veterinarian clinic near our house that still proclaims:

"Go Spurs Go, NBA Champs!"

After the summer of 2014 went by, I kinda thought it was cool they left it up. Like, "Hey, this could be the last go-around, let's celebrate and appreciate this championship, people!"

Then the 2014-2015 season started and I still thought that was cool, like, "Yeah, man, we're the defending champs until you knock us out!"

Then in May we lost in the playoffs and days, weeks went by and the sign stayed up.  It was clear we were not going to be the champs again, but I guess technically, we were still the champs.

Now, even after the finals, even this very day the sign is still up. It's time to let go. It's time to let go.

Speaking of the Spurs, they had a great summer. My good friend Phil sent this to me, and it's been floating around the SA social media/interwebs.




That's all party people, drink lots of water, don't eat so many carbs and slow down and watch of out for dogs and cats crossing the road, you'd hate to run over someone's pet wouldn't you?

No comments:

Post a Comment