Saturday, August 1, 2015

Art Post: Toucan Sam & Fragments on Cereal

Sometimes art imitates life and sometimes I imitate cartoons.

Inspired by picking up some Froot Loops from the hotel lobby this morning, I drew Toucan Sam. My mom would never let us get sugar cereal so it was a little cathartic for me to draw Sam. I loved cartoons. I loved sugar. So, why couldn't she just buy me Froot Loops once, just once!?!?

I loved staring at the colorful boxes at the store. Each cereal had it's own cool cartoon character.  I was a cartoon manic so I would just look up in wonder.  Also, how could any kid resist the little toy inside the box.  Wow, what a temptation. Whoever invented that was a genius!  So mysterious, so cool and yet most kids would be likely to lose all interest in it by the end of the day -  if you ever got your little grubby hands on it to begin with!

I loved the special offers and contests too!  I would read the back of  a cereal box like it was a map to a hidden treasure. It just made you feel like you were losing out on life if you didn't get that particular box.

Ok, so my Mom caved a few times. One time I ordered a magnet set of the Monster Characters (ya know like Boo Berry and Count Chocula). That was epic. I had those forever and I might still have Boo Berry somewhere.

One time when my Grandma was in town visiting, I went to the grocery store with her and begged her for Ghostbusters cereal. It worked! I couldn't believe it!  My mom was perturbed when she saw it sitting on the counter.



Update from the next week: 



No comments:

Post a Comment