Thursday, March 20, 2014

Spring is in the Air Fragments

Spring Break was nice. It felt like a long break. That's rare.

Last week I went to the grocery store around 10 PM. As I headed back to my car with the cart, as with most times, I got a running start and began riding the cart back to my car. The day I stop doing that, I will know I will be officially, an old man.

We went out of town to visit my aunt and went to a local restaurant and I saw some of the best bathroom graffiti I have ever seen. Scrawled below a "KKK" (which was already marked out) was "Took My Baby Away". That made me smile. If you don't know what that's referencing, look it up.

Also, this whole documentary about the Ramones is up on Youtube. Great movie, check it out if you have the inclination.

I am tired of FB again. I am tired of the fear of chemicals in food. I mean, we should be careful, yada yada, yada but the fear mongering is out of control with some of my friends.

The Best and Worst Sesame Street Characters

The Best

1) Ernie 2) Big Bird 3) Oscar  4) Slimey the Worm (totally underutilized now) 5) TIE: Bert & Grover

The Worst

1) Elmo 2) Abbey Cadabe 3) Murray 4) The Teddy Bear One  - all of them are annoying. It's sad that most of  the new characters they create are terrible and all have grating voices that make me want to smash things. They are one-dimensional and boring.  Jim Henson, you are missed!!

Great Pic - what's crazy is the guy died at 53. When I was a kid, I knew he died unexpectedly and that it was sad but I was like, "he's an old man". But Crap, that's just around the bend for me.  Also, is that a Jim Henson muppet to the left of Henson himself? Does Henson do Henson's voice? If so, does he just talk normal or did he create a "special Muppet" voice for the Muppet of himself?

Books Read Thus Far in 2014

Come As You Are (Nirvana book) by Azerrad  (re-read) - a necessity for Nirvana fans and so well done. I hadn't read it all the way through since college. Cobain seems more child-like and immature to me now, but that's because he was basically a kid and now I'm an old man. It got me on a Nirvana listening kick again and it always makes me sad thinking what Kurt could have done with this life and (most importantly) how sad  that his daughter only knows him through his music, photos, articles and his family's memories of him.

Ready Player One -  Ernest Cline
Wow. Great novel. I hadn't read one of those for fun that wasn't fantasy based in so long. Highly recommend for Gen-X'ers and people who love video games. You will finish this in less than a week if you have a pulse. 

Narina Books - The Boy and His Horse and now on Prince Caspian (re-reads) - good stories but CS Lewis is a racist and a xenophobe. I try to give people the benefit of the doubt but damn, I won't read the Boy and his Horse to my kids.


Currently reading: Pascal's Pensees (about 3/4 finished) and Flannery O Connor's complete short stories (just a few stories read).

Selections from various comic books, sections from The Case for God (Armstrong) (got it free but very disappointed in it thus far) and Barclay's commentary on Mark (always solid).

I had jury duty the other day and it was quite wonderful. Sat there and graded for an hour or two, listened to music, sketched some ideas for a project, hung out, got a two hour lunch and walked downtown most of the time on a beautiful day. Simply wonderful. Got back, sat down for another hour and a half and went home. I wish I had one day like this every week.

That's all for now, hang loose, be cool and most of all, never let 'em see ya sweat.

No comments:

Post a Comment