Thursday, January 16, 2014

Black & White

I am a white father to a black son.

This means we get a little more attention than the typical parent-child attention. It's also an objective and verifiable fact that our son is charming, smart and handsome.

Typically, it seems like white males love little H most of all.  He's a boy's boy and likes sticks, big trucks, loud noises, buttons. It's like men sense this in him! H often reciprocates their attention with smiles and laughs.

This got me wondering though.....

When will my son stop being "cute" and start being seen as "dangerous"?

What will I say when someone doesn't want him to date their daughter?

Instead of making people stop in their tracks with his smile, when will some walk a little faster when he comes closer to them.

How will I explain that he will be pulled over for being black?

What will I tell him to do when he is followed in a department store?

My son is almost 2 years old so these questions seem far away and foreign but I know they are coming. Luckily, I have some time to prepare.

No comments:

Post a Comment