Thursday, December 5, 2013

Fragments, Ya Know?

I asked my little E today (age 5) what her favorite boogers were, "Crusters" or "Snotters"? These categories should be easy enough for you to figure out.  She thought for a second and said, "Bloody". I howled while laughing.

For the record, Crusters is the correct answer (in case you were afraid to ask). 

Another cute story that I don't think I have told on the blog. This was from a few years back when our oldest, C was in kinder.  "Military Appreciation Day" or some other militaristic propaganda day was approaching and the students were encouraged to dress in "Camo" that Friday. We're not really a "Camo" family, so I told my daughter that she would not be able to participate.  She told me without skipping a beat, "Well, I'll just wear a white shirt Dad." "Why's that C?" "Because the walls are white".  Just another reminder that we had smart one on our hands.

C won a character award at school a few months back and we "won" discounted Spurs tickets. We did this last year, so we made it a date again this year. We had a ton of fun and this year we had a great game (last year we attended the Spurs' blowout of the 76ers). Timmy was apparently feeling good and had his best game of the year thus far, scoring over 20 and pulling down 21 boards  -- the oldest player in NBA history to accomplish that feat. It was pretty sweet to see Timmy maybe for the last time personally perform at such a high level. Then to top it off, with the score tied at 100 and 4.7 seconds left on the clock, he knocked down the winning shot, leaving .4 on the clock for the Hawks to work with (of course they didn't score)



And the crowd went wild including my kid and I.  I had all those classic dad moments of explaining the game to her. I hope the experience made for some good memories for C!
So, this is the internet....here's the video for the kids who missed the highlights:




Crazily, I have attended well over 30-40 Spurs games in my life and this is the first Spurs "buzzer beater" we made "for the good guys".

I attended this little gem of a game when we were on the opposite end of the buzzer:




Of course we ended up winning the title that year (that was Game 1 of the 2003 playoffs). So, watching it now is no problem.  At the time, it drove me a little batty (double batty for being off a missed free throw).

SIDENOTE:  Courtesy of my friend, Phil (hi, Phil!!), I enjoyed a great seat, so I was in the background of a huge picture in the paper the next day. MY 2 SECONDS OF FAME.

ADDITIONAL BITTER SIDENOTE OF ANGER: it occurs to me that if TD made 80% of his free throws in the playoffs for his career, it's likely we have at least one more title. Hell, if the team averaged 76% (we had some terrible FT shooting teams back in the day), it would have made the difference, as well. The last two years, we have been fine and TD has been better.


Just bought and finished my first comic purchase (the  Infinity Gauntlet limited series from 91) on the Kindle. It was a new experience but overall I enjoyed it. On the positive note it really stopped me from reading or sneaking a peek ahead. Whenever I buy old comics, I usually thumb through it first, just as a habit. With the Kindle, I found myself reading the comic panel by panel (you can do pages but the text is just a teensy too small for my taste and comfort level).  This made the story much more dramatic and surprising from a typical read. Usually, there is good drama or surprises in a comic but  if that plot point is on same page you end up spoiling for yourself because you can't not force your eyes over on the remaining panels on a page or the facing page. Also, it was nice I could read at night in bed with the lights off. On the downside, I love reading old comic books with ads and the "Bullpen Bulletins" (I am a Marvel guy). I love the smell of old books. I'm weird that way.

I really wanted to see 12 Years A Slave. Ya know, I am fascinated by race and slavery and I have MA in history so it's kinda "my bag". But...I haven't gotten around to it and now the 2nd Hobbit is coming out. Yikes. Hate to say it, but Hobbit is more of a "movie experience" plus, I have a few friends in town who are pumped about it.

I am a LAZY MAN.  I have my Sikh Center blog post almost done just wanted to remember my booger story and Spurs memory with this post.

Until the next time, peace, love and waffles!

No comments:

Post a Comment