Saturday, September 21, 2013

Saturday Night Special: Wild Flower

I am a child of the 80's. I wasn't into music all that much as a young adolescent. However, the staples were there. Micheal Jackson's Thriller, listening to the Beastie Boys, watching MTV when my parents weren't home, typical 80's memories.  I would record rap and pop music off the radio during the "Top Five at Nine" countdown but my first "real" foray into rock music was Electric by The Cult. My sister had brought the tape home from a friend.

I was around 12 when I first heard "Wild Flower" and I had never liked anything like this before.  I ate up the silly lyrics, the driving drum beat, and the guitar solo. It made me feel rebellious but it wasn't so dangerous that I would get in trouble over listening to it. I would play it on my Walkman (along with "Love Removal Machine") over and over and over though the ages of 12-14. I would sing (quietly) and work my air guitar like a master. I am still surprised my sister or parents never caught me prancing around with my Walkman on to these songs. (I did get caught screaming along with STP my senior year when my parents came home early from something).

Now, The Cult feels like a guilty pleasure. It sounds nothing like what my taste eventually settled on, but it helped introduce rock music to me and it's still a nice little diddy. Enjoy, my people. 



No comments:

Post a Comment