Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Discerning God's Will

Have you ever been faced with a challenge that left you wondering what you should do? Currently I am struggling with what to do next - what should be my path in the next few years? I am interested in going to seminary part time but I am unsure if it's the right thing to do.

Sometimes I hear people talk about God's will for their life - that God wanted someone to get a job or to move to another city. Some believers will say it was "God's will" that someone died. These ideas make me slightly uncomfortable - I mean how do they know they aren't just fooling themselves? How can they discern God's will without a direct revelation? Gut feeling?

One of the best lines from High Fidelity (just listen to the first 20 seconds)

High Fidelity - Guts & The Fantasy from W. Guy Finley on Vimeo.

Fully aware this quote is out of context but I know through personal experience my guts have led me down some crazy and dark corridors of life. BTW - High Fidelity is a great film.

Usually when I hear people confidently proclaim that know God's will for their life I feel a bit like the older son in the story of the prodigal son - a little jealous with a large helping of cynicism. Whatever God's will might be for anyone-- the only way to come close to understanding it would be through total humbleness and submission before God.

So here I find myself interested in taking seminary courses. But the last few days I have been frozen in indecision. How do I account for my own personal wishes, vanity, ego, academic curiosity, excitement and the balance all of that with discerning God's will? On Monday evening I attending a "prospective student night" at a seminary that was over three hours away. I spent much of the over-six hours driving time (traveling to and from) reflecting on God's purpose and will for my life. But what does it even mean to "discern" God's will?

There a mounds of books on "following God's will" or finding God's purpose in life. As I reflect on my mind set of the past week I realize much of my inner dialogue has been more about me than about God. The fact is I think we have a pretty inflated sense of purpose most of the time - when Jesus was asked what the most important commandment was, it was pretty simple.

'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’

 I absolutely love how Jesus makes it clear that the second most important commandment is connected to the first - there is no mistake about it - loving God means loving people.

I was once asked several years ago what the meaning in life was and my answer was "to love". I still believe that with my whole heart but I'm still trying to figure out how to do that.  The truth is, I can love and serve God from wherever I am and whatever I do. So it appears I already have my answer and the decision in many ways is immaterial. I just have to find out how to love God and others more.

No comments:

Post a Comment