Sunday, January 31, 2021

Fresh Startin' Fragments

I had been planning on doing two posts a month...so here ya go, the obligatory post just in time before February  (so just to check your expectations). 

My Ranking Spurs Championships blog was off to a great start (well, at least wordy start) but I found a place online that sells games and now I think I have to kinda watch some of those games before I move on. It will happen, but it is a bump in the road and it's just too important to half-ass.

That's a joke btw but I desire to be detailed and I love doing some original research. 

Blog-wise, I am concentrating my efforts on the next Spurs blog, I don't have anything intelligent to add or say or even think. I am floating upon the sea, only soaking up what comes my way and trying not to sink. But I do have a goal to post another Confucius Didn't Say That! post by May. 

Other posts to finish include my high school retrospective and another underrated 90's albums post

Pop Culture Fragments

Weezer's new album (OK Human) is surprisingly good. Yeah, at or near White album quality. Pretty sweet, it's a relaxing album to listen to.

My oldest daughter was dressed like the 90's tonight. Kinda threw me off, it was weird. Sometimes she's so much like me it's scary (and I like myself too). She's so laid back, weird and reflective. 

I am in the middle of reading Dune. It took a few hundred pages but I am finally enjoying more than in the first 300 pages. The Hunchback of Norte Dame is next on my list. 

I have been watching the LOTR trilogy on HULU and watching the DVD extras on YT. I dunno why. Why not?  It's been about 3-4 years since I've done a re-watch. 

Random Fragments

I have been missing my old buddy who moved to Illinois (hi Eric!). Just found out a new set of friends might be moving (in town but further away). They just came over and we had a few beers....there just aren't many friends we have like that. So, it goes. Eric, if you're reading this you have better read that 2007 Spurs blog post. Get to it. 

School started and I now it feels like the old normal will feel abnormal whenever that day comes (mid-fall? - next spring???). I feel like I am all alone. Email and a few Zooms just don't cut it. I am alone with my classes. Weird and yet, it's not.

Wondering about traveling this summer. We missed our annual trip to WI to visit K's fam because of the pandemic and now we're left wondering what to do. We're hoping to get the vaccine by late spring/early summer....but not sure how comfortable K's family will be with us coming up...? Also might plan a trip west to the Grand Canyon and CO but not really sure...we'll see. 

We have had many close calls with COVID. My sister's family got it, and now my sister-in-law has it....I am not convinced everyone will get it...and I don't want it. Hoping and praying we avoid it in the next few months before we can get vaccinated. 

Fragments and Musings on Aging and Traveling

When I think back to what I want to with my job (which is travel), of course, 2021 is gone and given the constraints and people's well-founded concern and caution, 2022 will be strictly limited if not crossed off as a possibility. I had planned on traveling every other year so this means that a good chunk of my 40's is gone right there. As each travel opportunity takes a year of planning in the process, this means if a trip doesn't "make", it means two years were lost in the process. 

Of course, I am thankful I traveled in the summer of 2019 for school and then the fam had a quick early trip in 2020, but now this means the first part of my 40's was wasted (as far as traveling for work). At this point, the earliest I can travel will now mean, I will be in my mid-to-late 40's (sigh...I sure am getting old). 

Ultimately, I shouldn't complain given many have lost so much more but it's my blog and my time to bitch, so give me some space, will ya?  It's all the more shocking that now I am old enough now, I plan in terms of decades. Good thing I am not on planning on retiring until I am in my late 70's or early 80's (God willing). In my head, I had always imagined a flurry of travel in my 40's-50's as I (in theory and hopefully) retained my health. Then again, I am greedy.... I will likely travel professionally into my 60's, even in all the possible alternate time-lines, anyhow. 

Whomever you are, I hope you are doing well and staying safe.  Don't forget to take a hot shower (if possible) and turn your brain off for a bit and forget about all your troubles (at least for 10 minutes or so). 

Until next time....


No comments:

Post a Comment