Monday, October 19, 2020

Stuff O' Fragments

 It's October, so let's celebrate by writing a blog. 

Or ya know, have a beer, whatever floats your boat.

Life Update/Fragments

I went camping with my son this past weekend for Cub Scouts, it went great. Although the worst part of camping continues to be sleeping (or rather staying asleep), just an awful night of sleep. I used to think the Cub Scouts/Boy Scouts was a fascist organization meant to brainwash our children. In my honest opinion, it kinda is. But our pack is laid back, and honestly, as one friend put it, it would be fascist to refuse my son to join. He just adores outdoor stuff, knives, camping, playing outside, etc. Also, I am my son's father. I can nip some of the worst brainwashing elements out and embrace the fun stuff. 

I got some good news. I will be presenting a paper at a national conference in June after all.  Barring the pandemic getting even worse, both the wife and I will be going and making a vacation out if. Yay. One day I might have an official site for some of my projects (which will not be connected to this blog in any way, shape, or form). Until then, I am a man of mystery, readers. 



Privacy Aside

Okay, look, I know it is extremely unlikely for anyone to connect the dots back to my real identity (in fact, if one was so inclined an observant reader could figure out who I am if they really wanted to or were bored out of their mind)...but I would rather not push my luck to include rando's in real-life tracking me down or former students reading some of my private thoughts.

Okay, look, I am aware that it's a little weird that I don't mind if random people on the internet know some of my deepest private beliefs but don't want people that actually know me to find out about the blog? That feels like a major contradiction. It's not like I am hiding some deep dark secret in plain sight, but I must admit I would feel like if someone's reading this, I have to be okay with them essentially reading my thoughts. That's not something I am willing just to let go of easily. 

Basketball Fragments 

It was weird rooting for the Lakers, but I did. I actually did. I like and respect Lebron, especially his stance on social issues. Obviously, his game is incredible and speaks for itself.  I also really like Danny Green & Caruso (I am an Aggie after all). I liked their whole rag-tag bench of has-beens and loveable losers. 


Okay, look, except Dwight Howard. He's still annoying and unlikeable. 

Looking forward to the draft for the Spurs. The first lottery in 20 odd years for the Spurs....this draft is supposed to be weak but ya never know. It will at least be interesting. The Spurs have an interesting array of young talent but really no superstar potential. White may be a fringe all-star at best. The jury is out for Keldon Johnson, but as stacked as the West is, I think the Spurs will be in the lottery for the next three years (bare minimum). 

Election Anxiety Fragments

I am not as anxious as I was a month ago as I am holding out hope Biden can blow Trump on election night, so badly, he just has to concede the next day. That is the best outcome for our nation. Otherwise, riots, looting, people dying, and the the further erosion of democracy and social norms. It really is that dramatic. If the GOP sows the fascist field and keeps embracing the alternative facts of Trump world, we will be in a scary state of affairs. 

So, ya know, I'm holding out hope for a Biden blowout. 

Okay, look, I am not saying it's in the bag because we've never had an election during a pandemic, there could be delays with the early mail vote, and of course, Trump himself will claim it's rigged against him, so who knows what will happen? But I'll be waiting with bated breath and hoping with prayer all goes well. 

Okay, look, that's the end of the blog. I hope you noticed a pattern. 

Go enjoy a nice cup of coffee, sit on the back porch, and think about all you're grateful for. 

I'll be back to post my election recap (probably but maybe not). 

No comments:

Post a Comment