Friday, April 17, 2020

Art Post: Donald Duck: The Black Pearls of Tabu

It's been awhile since I've shared an art project. Given that I have had a little more time to be home  (as we all do), I started doodling a scene from a Carl Bark's story, "The Black Pearls of Tabu Yama". I have love of Carl Barks, so it was just a matter of time when I found the right thing to re-create. The image comes from the first page of the story, and I found it quite captivating.


So, I went for it. I was hampered by two major things. First, I didn't have enough paint to paint it, so I decided on using map pencils. I also couldn't scourge up a small enough ink point and being that we are in quarantine, I didn't have the patience to just wait for an online order, so I worked ahead anyway despite my limitations.  While map pencils have their own unique, child-like charm, it is still an imperfect medium. Nevertheless, it is what it is: a fun project to waste the hours of the day, to day-dream about an adventure on the high sea.

I added a few more seagulls and clouds as well to fill up the now vacated space.


I'd give you a close up of the ship but man, I really goofed up those ducks.

No comments:

Post a Comment