Thursday, January 10, 2019

Wizard of Oz Fragments

I was in a local production of "The Wizard of Oz" this summer....here are the fragments.

My youngest daughter was in a production of "Annie" this past winter and she loved it. When she heard the same church theater group would be doing "The Wizard of Oz", she was determined to audition for a part again.  In fact, my other two kids got excited by the whole idea as well and decided to audition for "munchkins". 

I think I was sitting at the table goofing around with them, giving my "wizard" voice when they told me they wanted me to audition...in fact, they told me they wouldn't audition without me. I feigned a little that I wasn't interested, but it was mainly for self-protection.  I figured the director had someone else in mind, or there were politics involved.  That said, the kids were persistent in their begging, Besides, I figured it would be fun just to try out and make some memories with the kids.

At the audition they called up everyone, no matter the part and asked for us to the sing a little of the "Jolly Old Land of Oz" as a big a group. No problem. So far, I am acing this thing as I can read a little bit of music and can sing okay. Then, to my the horror, they asked for us to dance. I told them I was only trying out for  the role of Oz, but they insisted that they wanted to see what everyone could do.

There I was, the only grown man on stage, surrounded largely by girls under the age of 14, a couple of boys and a few older ladies. The director wanted to see if we could learn a quick dance routine on the spot and to put it into practice. To put it mildly,  I was terrible. So terrible that I just had to laugh while I was up there. They asked us to improvise our ending move and I ended up falling over, which got a few laughs. At least they could see I had a good attitude about the whole thing.

In the weeks prior to the audition, I had practiced a few lines at home given the availability of scripts online.  I focused my attention on the "award scene" in the aftermath of when Oz has been discovered and delivers awards and mini-monologues to Scarecrow, Tin Man and Lion awards.




Frank Morgan's performance is inspired and just about, well, perfect. He is playful, wise and has a twinkle in his eye.  To step into such a beloved role and performance was intimidating.

It was obvious this was a perfect audition scene and when I practiced at home I used my  "Map Maker voice"....which requires a little explanation. As I have covered here, I am a storyteller for the kids and one my main characters for my stories is the Map Maker. Coincidentally he is also an old wizard and he has a strange accent that I created from somewhere in my strange head.  It's a almost English/North Eastern American thing and I am not quite sure where I picked it up from, but it's definitely fits the character. It's given with an older affect and honestly, people like the voice. In fact, I would guess most of the specific compliments given to me were about my voice for the character. 

While other actors auditioned for various parts, the director told me the "medals scene" would be the scene I would audition with, so I got a bit of practice in as well.  Finally, it was my turn and frankly,  I nailed it. I could tell I was doing well....but it just felt good and the director looked happy. I tried it with my regular voice a second time but that didn't work out too well. It seemed like the Map Maker and Oz were meant to be. As I stepped off the stage the director told me I would be one of the Oz's for sure....the productions are so popular, they double-cast all the lead roles.

So, that was that and I had been cast as a "lead" of a real stage production.

Of course, I've had a little experience on the stage from time to time, but nothing too fancy.  The last significant stage production I had been in was a mini-Christmas production for Christmas Eve service at church a few years ago. However, almost all my lines were pre-recorded, as the audience was supposed to hear my thoughts. There was practically no pressure, except to not trip on my own two feet.

My previous other roles included some church stuff in high school and my roles in "The Music Man" my senior year. I was one of the traveling salesmen (actually had the first line of the whole play), a towns-person and sang the town songs and was a dancer to the "Shipoopi" with my future wife! I can't believe I had to Google "Shipoopi" to figure out how to spell it. I will eventually blog about this experience but suffice to say I was very nervous for the first scene and after that I could just have fun and blend in with the rest of the cast. 

The kiddo's were also cast, E & H were munchkins and C was a Poppy flower and a Oz-ian citizen. It was a family affair!

While it was "only a church production" this church really offers some impressive stuff. The directors have worked in NYC and have actually done professional work.


I mean, check out my crazy head that was projected when I was Oz. Technology never fails to amaze me. This looked surprisingly professional. 


They had a total of eight shows, which meant all the leads would have four shows each.

So while I was a "lead" by strict definition, I had strange role. Two of my six scenes were pre-recorded and five of the six scenes are in the second act of the play. So while I was required to be at many Act I rehearsals, I had little to do but sit around and fret about my scene in Act I. Even when I got around to it, we would do it "one and done" style, as the director seemed to have supreme confidence in me. Besides, they had all sorts of stuff to get to for Dorthy and the others like singing and dancing, etc.

I didn't mind it all the downtime though, it was interesting to watch the show come together. Still, I was bit of an outsider. Almost all of our leads were in their 20's and in college, while I am an old man. Two exceptions were the other Oz (in his 50's) and one of the witches (in her mid- 40's). Mirroring my participation with the stage, I barely got to know them until we started rehearsing, while most of them had worked together at least a few times.

After the first few weeks of rehearsals on Act I, we finally dived into Act II. This was a welcome change but also, things started to move pretty fast. I was given one full day of  warning to record my big Oz head scenes. I didn't think it was a big deal as I knew my lines "OK" and I figured I was have multiple takes. No problem.

The next evening came and I went down early to have my face painted and record my scenes. If I am being honest, (and hey no one reads this blog anyway, so why not?)....it was pretty cool. On a technical side, I hated it. I don't like anything near my eyes but on practical side, it felt like I was in show business.


The best selfies are with make-up on.

The problem with only having a day's notice is that my memorization of the script was not that good. Especially when everyone is just staring at you and especially when you have a huge light directed into your face and you're not supposed to look anywhere but straight ahead. It was weird and I am obviously making excuses here....but I felt like I was choking. It was the first time I really started to doubt myself in the production.  If I was grading myself, I would give my performance a B but this is because the "producer" of the digital effect could combine my takes. I felt pretty bad about the whole thing but the director was fine and everyone was supportive and kind-hearted about the whole thing.

 After weeks of rehearsals, we were finally ready to open the show.  I was nervous, more nervous than I had originally expected. I was on the side-stage listening to Dorthy sing "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" and realizing...this was it and there was no turning back. My first performance was so-so, but as someone later said, I got better each performance and it really felt that way. I mean, I could get technical - my first scene the third night was the best while my last scenes on the fourth night was the best ya know, no one but me could even sense a difference.

A few photos from my scene as Professor Marvel in Act I. Act I was in gray or "black and white" to mirror the film. It was a cool idea.

My favorite part of the whole endeavor was adding something different each night. One night, it was a mistake, but both "Dorthy" and I found our way back as we both knew the script. Dorthy was great -  talented, professional in demeanor and had a great attitude.  She also seemed like a great person off stage too. Being that the majority of my lines come with Dorthy, it was fortunate that we had a little chemistry.

In my first scene, Dorthy has run away from home when she meets Professor Marvel. Once Marvel figures out what's going on, he tries to "con" her back home. This is such fun character type to play - the con man with a heart of gold. Anyway, one night I decided to add a bit to the performance and asked Dorthy as she's attempting to get in "tune with infinity" if she's ever done this before, because she's a "natural". My fellow actor didn't bat an eye...and I was pleased when we got a few laughs.

After Act I, I would get to hang out "back stage" - an adjacent fellowship hall next door. It was fun to hang out with my kids and check on them as needed. The kids did so well, the little one's aced the dance moves and the older one sang great. the show was a great for their confidence. I could see growth in all their performances. In particular, given the research that shows adolescent girls lose confidence from 10-13, it was nice to be a part of something that can help build confidence and character.



Act II is where the Wizard's role is actually meaty, although, again, two of my scenes were pre-recorded. I would still waltz in the back of the room, just in case there were technical problems and I would then voice the Wizard from the back. Nothing happened, but it was still fun to walk in wearing a cape.  It's a little known fact that if you're walking wearing a cape it increases your confidence by 90%. My costume was a little silly but it did get me into character.

I loved the "awards" scene out of all my scenes.  I would practice my monologues driving to work, in the shower or really during any part of my day I was alone. I rarely slipped up, as I knew it so well. Right before I would go out on this scene I wasn't nervous but actually excited.  It felt like the character and I would zen into one being at this point during the show.

Immediately after the awards scene is the farewell in the hot air balloon. Look, it is local theater. We had it set up on wheels and I would "float" away back stage. It wasn't all that bad. After I flew away, I had to rush backstage to a different area, get back into my Professor Marvel costume quickly to be ready to be back in Kansas. That was by far, the most nerve wracking part of the role. Also, changing in front of people isn't a big deal when you are properly motivated to do it quickly and get your mic back on.

During my speech in the balloon, I would look at the cast, specifically looking for my three kids.  Usually, I could find one or two and this would make me happy. 

After my fourth performance, it was all over. All the hours to learn a very specific skill - the lines, the motions, etc. were now essentially - useless. All these specific people in specific roles, whom accomplished a goal as a team would never be brought back together again.  It already feels poignant and this was only six months ago!

Another thing I loved from this experience was the challenge of it all. I haven't really had a "real" role ever, not like this....and here I am, 41, and trying something new. It felt like I was stretching a muscle that hadn't been used in a long, long time and it felt good. I am grateful for the experience. After all, isn't that what life's about - trying something new and having fun with those you love the most?

No comments:

Post a Comment