Saturday, December 1, 2018

Poem Post: >Abort, Retry, Fail?_

Every so often I've been writing poems. So I thought I would share one here. Usually I find myself writing late at night, when the mood strike me (which is usually when I am listening to something dramatic on YouTube).  This particular poem come out of a series of poems that meditate on the brain's function and the need to create meaning. Our brains are really just fancy biological computers. In particular, I find it interesting that we're all (for better or worse) stuck in our own brains. I was looking up computer error messages and stumbled across  the "Abort, Retry, Fail?" Wiki article and it included a quote that I thought summed up the human experience pretty well:

"It (Abort, Retry, Fail) has become an icon of poor interface design, because it led exactly nowhere … A veritable Catch 22, since the only viable option appeared to be to keep typing R until one was willing to accept that one's work was lost and there was nothing left to do but shut down the program and start anew"

>Abort, Retry, Fail?_

I dream because I have to

I dream to stay awake

I ask and I ask

but the Oracle is not answering my texts.

My operating system is stuck on re-start -- this is some bulls-

>A FATAL EXCEPTION ERROR HAS OCCURRED  

A virus has infected my registry.  

A sailor lost at sea, a feeling machine sinking in --

I dream because I have to

I  dream to stay awake 

>Abort, Retry, Fail?_

Type “R”, cross your fingers, and hope we don’t crash.  

No comments:

Post a Comment