Thursday, April 23, 2015

Been Awhile Fragments

A post of real fragments, cause it's been awhile.

You know who I'm tired of: complainers about the complainers. The world only gets better because people complain.  

Spurs keep truckin' - 18 years of contention. Unbelievable. I was going to quantify all that with charts and stuff from basketballreference.com but it got too demanding. I'm lazy.

Summary of my research: Most team's window for contention of a title (minimum 50+ wins) is about 5-6 years. That's it. There are few exceptions: Lakers & Celtics of 80's. Bulls (I'll give them 89-90 and that half season with Jordan) of the 90's and that's it. Some teams only get a 3-5 years. The Spurs have tripled a solid contending window. That's unheard of in sports history.

Just in case you're a stickler. No, I don't count the 1960's Celtics. The league had like 8 teams. Modern NBA history begins from 1980. 

Took a break from writing my book. I am around 17,000 words. First, I got lazy, then I got busy, and now it's playoff time. Plan on starting back up in May after we install our new flooring. 

H (my son, age 3) calls Parmesan cheese, "Parmish".  Cool, huh? 

I showed my kids some Tim & Eric clips (Totino Boy). They all loved it so much. Don't know what's crazier the fact that they love it, or that I even showed it to them. 

Planning a new study abroad to Ecuardor in summer of 2016. Should be awesome, man. All that reminds me I need to finish my Peru study abroad posts! (yikes) 

Other posts I want to get to in the next 6 months: 

Thoughts on Weezer's Everything Will Be Alright in the End 
Wonder Years: Part II
Spurs 90's Fragments: Part II
Weezer's Red Album Post 
Post on Islam's hadith tradition 
Confucius Didn't Say That! Part II 

Checked out the new Sufjan Stevens album. Wow. Some of the only new music that gets to me in any way. 

As I have gotten older, I experience music differently than I did when I was young.  When you're young you have all this drama about love and relationships,  so every love song becomes instantly relate-able. Your feelings are deep and the songs are ALL SO MEANINGFUL to you romantic little heart. 

Now, I'm settled and happy. Maybe a little wiser, too.  I miss "feeling" new music and yet, I don't. I don't want to scream to Nirvana anymore and I don't want to feel the emotional pain of romantic rejection again.  Music appreciation becomes just that, an aesthetic, appreciative experience.  

I'm not a robot, it just takes more for me to get "into" any new music. Sufjan Stevens is the only new artist that I can consistently "feel" or "get". 

Drew a picture for my 9 year-old before she took our state's standardized test and taped on a letter that her teacher encouraged us to write to her. Yes, that's the Dungeon Master from the 1980's cartoon, Dungeon & Dragons. She loves that show. 


That's it fine friends. In the meantime, eat a cookie from the kitchen when no one else is looking. I won't tell a soul. 

No comments:

Post a Comment