Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Self Portrait: Fall of 2014

I was flying back home from a conference in October of last year when I started drawing triangles. Lots and lots of  triangles. Triangles with different designs and shapes inside. Some designs were connected within larger triangles, others were contained.

It was fun and I was jamming out with some tunes, wasting time until I got home.

Then I started writing random numbers inside of them and I found myself lazily trying to create a code of some importance using math or combinations of numbers with letters, etc. We were starting to land, so I figured I would expand on this idea and create a proper self portrait.  After a week or so of drawing a few triangles a night, here was the result:

The page was too big for my scanner so the edges are little blurry. Oh well. 

Some triangles are homage to beloved pop culture items/people (you'll find Spider-Man, Kermit, references to Spurs, Weezer, etc.) Other triangles relate to religious iconography, verses, concepts, etc. including Christianity, Hinduism and Buddhism. There are also a few philosophical concepts and questions taking up space. Of course there are personal coded messages from my past, including initials of people or events, years of note, etc. This includes relationships, friends, jobs, trips and events. Finally, there are the symbols and pictographs, many of which are symbolic and obvious, some symbols are not-so-obvious and others are, well, just designs or silly pictures that have no meaning whatsoever. If you like you could label them "red herrings".

There are "quadrants" (ironic in a picture of triangles to use that term) that are roughly (very roughly) set up chronologically around my life. So for example, most of my early and middle childhood memories are at the top. The caveat to that is that there are many triangles out of order but I figured that's a lot like our brains anyway. Our lives often are narratives that are pieced together out of tangled synapses and wrinkles.

The main message is that triangles are cool, man. Real cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment