Wednesday, November 13, 2013

Fragments Here, There and Way, Way, Way Over Thre

Sometimes students drive me crazy.

On Monday in my World Cultures class I asked for ideas, thoughts, images or anything that came to mind when I said the word "Islam" and/or "Muslims".

....Silence......

After a few rephrasing of my question an older student finally said, "bin Laden". Okay, good talking point. I am happy for someone to start us off with something a little controversial. So I write "bin Laden" on the whiteboard, hoping for more.  Still there was more "silence"...I decided to call on a student by name, "Chris, what do you think of when you hear the word 'Islam'?" Silence and then he shrugs. I write "shrugs" on the board. Ok, I'll try another. "Simon, what do you think when you hear the world 'Islam'"? "Uh..I don't know." So, I write that on the board as well. 

PEOPLE. WHAT IS WRONG WITH YOU PEOPLE?????

Yes, I finally started getting some feedback after that response.

Today in the same class, I walk in and I feel the energy level of the room. It was a "Sleepy Sunday Afternoon After Lunch Close to Nap-time Level" . I asked if they would like to do jumping jacks or walk around the building. I actually got a few smiles on that one. VICTORY.

This is part of the semester where you really start disliking classes as a whole. No, not all the students just the class itself. I actually really like a few of the students as individuals in that class. But as a whole, something is just off. Likely, it's all me (no, I don't really believe that).  I have two of my five like that. However, the other three are great (really) so that's a good thing - thankfully, I always end each day with a good groups of students.

Saturday we were in Costco near the meat. There was a huge meat thing (no idea what it was but it was about 3 feet long). I looked at my four-year-old and held it up,  "Hey, E, look, human leg!" E, looking concerned, "Really?". "No, we don't eat humans. Would you want to eat a person?" Without missing a beat, "A dead person."  Five second pause, "...if I was an animal."  My weird little girl!! So proud. :)

Stuck in my head all day long. So, so good. Basically what I want my rock music to be:




Last night I read through Book 67 (on women and marriage) of the Sahih al-Bukhari.

And I have three words to say:

HOLY CORN DOG.

I will have more, much more to say on this doozie collection of hadiths. I have to say most Muslims I have meet are either living with a horrible case of repression, disconnection or ignorance (or they actually believe this stuff).

Before you read the excerpt take this short quiz.

Muhammad is about to describe who he saw in hell as "the majority of its dwellers". Guess which of the following were roasting the most?

A) Rich People
B) Women
C) Hypocrites
D) Disbelievers 

Your answer.....

He said, "I saw Paradise (or Paradise was shown to me), and I stretched my hand to pluck a bunch (of grapes), and had I plucked it, you would have eaten of it as long as this world exists. Then I saw the (Hell) Fire, and I have never before, seen such a horrible sight as that, and I saw that the majority of its dwellers were women." The people asked, "O Allah's Messenger ()! What is the reason for that?" He replied, "Because of their ungratefulness." It was said. "Do they disbelieve in Allah (are they ungrateful to Allah)?" He replied, "They are not thankful to their husbands and are ungrateful for the favors done to them. Even if you do good to one of them all your life, when she seems some harshness from you, she will say, "I have never seen any good from you.' "

Now this tradition is mentioned 2-3 additional times in the hadith from different witnesses.  In my understanding, this confirms that the saying is more reliable and deemed more authentic as compared to a source that is only recorded once in the collection or by one witness.

I got to watch some TV to relax -- I've been online for TOO long tonight. Best wishes, eat well and don't forget to always turn your blinkers on when changing lanes.

Goodnight sweet internet.

No comments:

Post a Comment