Saturday, February 16, 2013

Saturday Night Special: The Bends

There was a time in the 90's when I knew just about everything that was going on the alternative music scene.  My depth of knowledge was quite shallow but it was wide. My knowledge of the history of rock/pop music was extremely poor as well.  I knew about bands, when albums were coming out mostly due to the fact that I was a DJ at our college station so it helped me keep in the “loop” of the college music scene.  

Looking back, my ability to have an educated taste was at an elementary level. This doesn’t stop anyone from having opinions though, and it didn’t stop me.  I knew what I liked and I was picky as hell. To make matters worse, I was always on the look out for sell-outs or poseurs. I figured if something made it really big and wasn’t “rock out with your cock out” then it was lame.

Anyway, when I discovered The Bends shortly after it was released, I liked it. Not deeply or intensely but I knew what I liked and I liked this. I eventually grew to love the album.

Lots of people like radiohead. I am happy for them but for me, radiohead begins and ends with The Bends. After this, they lost their ability to truly rock.  There’s worse bands out there but they ain’t my cup of tea anymore. This song shines for me on a great album. I really could have almost picked any song on this album (except “Fake Plastic Trees” as by definition, I am supposed to pick “rocky” songs for my Saturday Night Specials).

So, I feel like this is introducing the Beatles to someone, but surely, there is someone like me when I was in college. They might just be discovering the history of rock music....maybe, just maybe this is their introduction to wade a little deeper out away from their own comfort zone.  Probably not, but ya know the thought is nice.



No comments:

Post a Comment