Tuesday, February 21, 2012

"Let the Children Sing" Fragments

One of the cool things about being a dad is brainwashing your kids to like good music. Here are some highlights.

About a week ago, my five-year-old asked me, "Hey Dad, can we listen to some kid's music like the Beatles?"

My oldest daughter often asks for "rock and roll" to listen to in the car. She knows me well.

C loves the Beatles and really likes Weezer and the Ramones. But the band she and her sister E, age 3 are currently adoring is The Apples in Stereo. Every single track on Tone Soul Evolution is gold for the both of them.  The other day we were driving with the windows down and the girls were jamming out to the Apples, holding hands and giggling...I loved it.

Her favorite Weezer songs are "Island in the Sun" (AKA "the hip hip song"), "Dreamin'" and "Mykel & Carli".

I do like to mix things up - when I take C to school in the mornings we listen to blues music and sing along or we end up listening to some baroque music that is usually playing in the mornings on the local "classical" music station.

During my daughters' "Quiet Time" they request the Beatles or mix CD's that I have made.

C once asked me if the Beatles were "real" - and I told her yes, they were real but that John and George were dead.  I told her Paul still tours and plays songs and she suggested we go to a concert and tell him "He did a good job".

E, is just getting into having distinct music opinions but judging from her personality, I am going out on a limb to say she is definitely the more "punk rock" of the two of them - but you never know....

No comments:

Post a Comment