Thursday, February 17, 2011

Poem Post: Downtown '98

In the summers of 1997, 1998 and 2000 I worked downtown. These were seminal years for me and I spent a lot of time alone -- thinking and writing.  Most days, I would walk to lunch from Hemisfair Park to the heart of downtown, often near the Alamo. I love urban areas - they seem so much more alive than our sterile suburban environments.  It seems like anything can happen.  I wrote this in 2005, looking back on a particular lunch-hour.  Yes, it actually happened.

Downtown '98
i see the puppeteer
with his dog puppet 
making strange comments
as the tourists pass
so i walk to the other side of alamo street
there's a preacher with the bible in hand
preaching in shade of alamo square
the annual dog show's at henry b again
i eat fast-food in the mall alone
and think of poems to write when i'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment