Sunday, August 15, 2010

The Six Stages of Accepting The Wiggles

We own three Wiggle DVD's and one Wiggle book. This is enough to claim your very being as far as I am concerned.


My four-year-old (who was introduced to the Wiggles when she was two) loves them, my one-year-old is obsessed with them (they are known as "Bow-Wow" with the one-year-old because of the first song on her favorite DVD).

Okay, so it's not my dream job, but damn it would be fun to be stupid all day.


When I mean obsessed - I mean it. E (our one-year-old) asks for Bow-Wow on the "TD" ALL DAY LONG.

I have moved through this challenge in my life in the various stages of grief.


Denial - at first, I didn't think they could harm me. I planned on avoiding the Wiggles forever. Until my sister GAVE US the DVD's. I thought, "You know this really isn't necessary". Next thing you know, I was desperate - it was Saturday morning before anything started on TV (we don't have cable) so we popped it in. I tried to pretend it would be a one-time event and C wouldn't like it....it didn't work out that way.


Anger - I hated it all. I hated the songs, the dances, the members of the Wiggles, in particular I really hated Dorothy, the Dinosaur as her costume looked stupid (the teeth, the hat and her voice).


Bargaining - It begins to seep into your routine..."Okay, okay, we can put it in - only for ten minutes" or "It won't hurt, I can crash on couch or check my email while she listens to a few songs".


Depression - "This sucks, this really sucks, these damn songs are stuck in my head now"


Acceptance - Kids are fussing and/or driving me crazy...I start to smile and dance, "Anybody want to see the WIGGLES?!?!" You leave it on for awhile, even if the kids have moved on to toys.



Happiness - I critique their performances, even catch myself watching it as the my kids are playing with their toys. Half my day is spent with Wiggles songs in my head. I sometimes prance around to the songs with the kids. It doesn't feel right if the day ends with no "Bow Wow". Now, it doesn't bother me at all. I enjoy it.

God, help me, I enjoy the Wiggles.

No comments:

Post a Comment